Tuesday, April 5, 2011

About this Blog

Myself and Annie Coyle-- the Girl of the Year
Hello everyone!

Justin Dobbs here!

This is my blog for my Man of the Year campaign to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!! I will be providing updates on events I will be hosting starting April 1st thru June 10th.

My website to make online donations is now active and donations can be made now by going to this link.

For those of you that don't know what this campaign is about here are some details:

I’ve recently been nominated to run for this year’s Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Man of the Year 2011! This event consists of a ten-week fundraising effort in which the funds collected will go towards research and support of those patients currently battling a blood related cancer. I’m so excited to be part of this event and hope that you will join me in supporting the mission of the LLS to change the future for leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma patients. This nomination is truly an honor for me as the LLS has touched my life so deeply. 

In May 1994, my grandmother (Mary) was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL). At the age of thirteen I really had no idea what that meant or how this disease was going to impact my family’s lives. As I went through the high school years and my grandma got worse, we would spend holidays in the hospital by her side. My family is very close and we just couldn’t imagine celebrating a holiday without her. In June 1999 she took a turn for the worse and was in the hospital for my high school graduation. While I was sad that she couldn’t be there to see me graduate I was more sad for her because I know how much a good education meant to her and my grandpa.

My grandma was a fighter and she fought this disease for 8 years. During those 8 years it was a rollercoaster of emotions, from the hospital visits to the trip to Florida in 2000 to celebrate their 50 year wedding anniversary, while she was in remission. In July 2002, she finally lost her battle with Lymphoma. This was very hard for my family and me but one of the last things that she said was, “I hope you don’t forget me.” By participating in this campaign I can continue to honor her memory. My goal is to raise $100,000 for the LLS. This ambitious goal will allow me to name a research grant in Mary’s name.

Even on days when she felt her worst she would make sure she didn’t let that affect time with the family. What she wanted most was for others not to worry about her. I’m so lucky that I have the memories of her and try to remind myself daily of how lucky I was to have the first 20 years of my life with her.

My grandma was honest, sincere, compassionate, trustworthy and just a treat to be around. She was certainly a person who would do anything for anyone at the drop of a hat and her amazing character has left such a footprint on the lives of so many others she came in contact with.

I miss my grandma immensely and can’t help but wonder if things may have turned out differently for her if more people were aware of and willing to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s mission. Every five minutes someone in the U.S. is diagnosed with a blood cancer and every ten minutes someone dies from a blood cancer. However, the research and treatment largely funded by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is paying off. I am passionate about this organization and believe that together we can make leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma a thing of the past. 

It is my goal to do whatever I can to prevent other individuals from going through what my grandma did and to prevent other families from going through such a tragic loss that my family experienced. This is why I’m seeking your help. On June 10, 2011, I will find out if I am this year’s Man of the Year. The purpose of this fan page to detail some events I will be hosting over the 10 weeks and also ask for donations for my campaign, please consider making a donation. Your donation would be greatly appreciated and help to ensure a successful campaign for all. All proceeds will go directly to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment